09 January 2015

Big Hero 6

Please note that when you read a review of a film, it may potentially contain some level of spoilers.  Proceed with caution.
______________________________________________________________

I was such a big fan of the movie and Disney did such a good job of making me feel like I was included in their world that I had to do myself as a BH6 character.  This was an enjoyable practice, and I'll likely do this for many of the movies I see.

Big Hero 6 is easily my favorite movie of the year, though I absolutely loved Mr. Peabody and Sherman, too.  My wife and I finally got to go out to see it in the Orem Cinemark on New Year's Day.  Every bit of the film was deliciously awesome!  I've never seen such beautiful lighting and the characters all had such amazing design to them.  I found myself constantly feeling enveloped by everything happening on the screen.

There are very few trailers that I feel do any justice to the film.  Either they're really good and the movie is horrible, or they're done incredibly poorly and the movie is amazing.  Every trailer for BH6 was exciting to me, and didn't quite do perfect justice to the film, it made it very clear that this was an exciting film to see, and not only did the film exceed my expectations and give me a ride the whole 105 minutes, but it surprised me and kept me laughing.

I wish Stan Lee had actually made it into the film.  That would have been excellent.  His character was SO spot on!

I absolutely loved the characters.  The aunt was a hoot, and I loved her personality character complexes (wanting a donut, etc).  GoGo was a fun character to me because she was constantly giving the reality check.  She was a tough personality with a tender heart.  Wasabi killed me!  He was so well thought out.  I thought it was funny that he was such a scaredy cat, you know?  Baymax was fun, especially since he was having to learn things as the film went along.  I kept expecting to see Yama and his crew more in the film later on because of the shlews of concept are that I saw of them.

Funny story, so my first idea as to who the villain was was Hiro's big brother Tadashi.  I thought it was an illusion that he was dead and he was coming back for one reason or another to do . . . something.  Yeah, not a solid theory, and it threw me through a loop when I saw who the villain really was.  Excellent reveal.  I really appreciated seeing Hiro's breakdown and momentary desire for absolute revenge.  I do feel that Hiro wasn't justified in blaming the professor for Tadashi's death because he didn't start the fire with the intent of killing Tadashi.  I see this, however, as a realistic reaction to what happened.  Hiro finds that his hero started the fire that killed his brother when he rushed in to save him.  He created the brother's cause of death, so Hiro's reaction, while not justified, is still natural and realistic.

My single complaint, besides not having been able to work on it (hint-hint), was that Hiro sounded and looked older than he was said to be.  A minor complaint.  It didn't bother me while I was watching the movie in general, but whenever it mentioned his age, it just didn't quite feel right.  Oh well.

Well done, Disney.  I applaud you and your amazing work.

No comments:

Post a Comment